Medical Excess

Medical excess refers to the first $629 of non-hospital treatment that you are required to pay before you can claim medical and like expenses from the TAC.

How Can I Reach the Excess?

Any treatment you receive from the following providers should help you to reach the excess:

  • GP
  • Chiropractor
  • Podiatrist
  • Osteopath
  • Physiotherapist
  • Dentist
  • Psychologist
  • Optometrist

Are all services subject to the Medical Excess?

There are exceptions where the TAC will waive the excess such as:

  • If you were admitted to hospital as an inpatient. Generally, this means that you stayed for more than 1 day.
  • If a family member was also involved in the accident and they were admitted as an inpatient. Family member refers to your partner, parents, siblings or children.

Other services that are not subject to the Medical Excess include:

  • Ambulance services
  • Hospital services
  • Household support
  • Nursing services
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Social Work
  • Travel

Any costs claimed through Medicare or a private health insurer will still be considered towards the excess.

It is important to retain receipts and statements for all medical expenses. These will need to be sent to the TAC once you have received treatment to the value of $629 along with a completed a Medical Excess Declaration form.

Grant & Co Lawyers have extensive experience in Personal Injury Law and will offer sound advice and guidance based on your needs and personal circumstances.

Contact us online or call 1300 057 056 for an obligation free assessment of your matter.

Learn More

Scroll to Top