Injuries from Trip and Fall on a Footpath

If you’ve been injured on a footpath you may have a claim for compensation. However, it’s important to get the right legal advise early as this is a highly technical area of law with many potential pitfalls for the uninitiated.

This is due to the operation of the Road Management Act 2004 which provides local councils with a range of statutory defences and severely restricts the circumstances in which claims can be made. As the only firm that has run a successful claim  in this area Grant & Co Lawyers are the natural choice to determine if you can make a claim for compensation.

It’s vital that you take preliminary steps to protect any claim you might have. The steps are as follows:

  • seek medical treatment immediately
  • take photographs of scene of the accident
  • take measurements of the size of the raised lip along with photographs of the measurements
  • make diary notes of the circumstances of the accident
  • obtain statements from any witnesses to the accident
  • notify the relevant local council that you’ve had an accident within 30 days

Notice of the accident to the council needs to contain the following information:

  • your name and address
  • your signature of the signature of another person who is giving notice on your behalf
  • the date of the notice
  • a description of the accident
  • the date and approximate time of the accident
  • a description of the scene of the accident that is sufficient
Scroll to Top